- Europe /
- Portugal /
- Lisbon /
- API (Academic Programs International): Lisbon - Study Abroad in Portugal
API (Academic Programs International): Lisbon - Study Abroad in Portugal
Study abroad in one of Europe’s most beautiful and historically important capital cities — Lisbon, Portugal! CNN recently reported that Lisbon might be “Europe’s coolest city” and was named European City of the Year. The nearby city of Porto, was ... read more
Study abroad in one of Europe’s most beautiful and historically important capital cities — Lisbon, Portugal! CNN recently reported that Lisbon might be “Europe’s coolest city” and was named European City of the Year. The nearby city of Porto, was named the European Destination of the Year.
Programs in Lisbon Include:
- Semester Business, Humanities, and Social Sciences: Students who choose to study abroad in Lisbon with API complete courses offered in English in international business, international relations, and Portuguese history and culture at the University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE). Portuguese language courses are also available through the New University of Lisbon (NOVA).
- Summer Portuguese Intensive Language Studies: Students who choose to study abroad in Lisbon with API will have the opportunity to brush up on their Portuguese language skills in one of Europe’s up-and-coming “hot” destinations. Students will take Portuguese language courses from Universidade Nova de Lisboa (NOVA).
- Summer Business Studies: Students who choose to study abroad in Lisbon with API during the summer will be able to take international business courses in English in one of Europe’s up-and-coming “hot” destinations. Students select one course per session for 3 semester credits. Students may combine two sessions in order to earn up to 6 credits for their program. The sessions may be combined as follows: sessions 1 and 3, or sessions 2 and 4.
- Jan Term in Lisbon: Spend your January in Lisbon and learn about cross-cultural communication in coastal Lisbon.
Program Type(s):Study Abroad
- Academic Year
Relevant Study Subject(s):
- Portuguese Language, Literature
- Liberal Arts, General Studies
- Social Sciences
- Business Administration and Management
- Finance, Financial Services
WebsiteTake me there!
API / Academic Programs International Scholarships
API is pleased to support students who are the first in their families to attend a college or university. The First Generation Scholarship award ranges from $250 to $750 per session and is available for academic year, quarter/semester, and summer students.
This scholarship is offered to API participants who attend a community or technical college in the U.S., and awards range from $250 to $750 per session.
The API STEM scholarship is offered for API participants who are studying science, technology, engineering or mathematics. The API STEM Scholarship award ranges from $250 to $750 and is available for academic year, quarter/semester, and summer students.
The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Students participating in an API program who have been awarded a Gilman scholarship will be eligible to receive up to $1,000 in matching contributions from API for a study abroad program, or up to $500 in matching contributions from API for an intern abroad program. To receive this award, Gilman winners should indicate their scholarship details on their financial aid information after acceptance to an API study abroad program.
Up to $1,000
API is proud to provide a diversity scholarship in order to support students from a variety of backgrounds. The API Diversity Scholarship award ranges from $250 to $750 and is available for academic year, quarter/semester, or summer students. In order to qualify for this scholarship, students must be one or more of the following: a U.S. military veteran, a non-traditional student (30 years old or older), a student with a disability, a minority student, and/or a LGBTQ student.
It is not an easy task to juggle the demands of college athletics with academic responsibilities while pursuing other interests on campus. API supports both current and college-bound student-athletes participating on our programs. We welcome student-athletes across all divisions of the NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA to apply.
The API regional scholarships (Asia/Middle East, Europe, Latin America) provide awards that range from $250 to $800 per session. All API students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher are encouraged to apply. The scholarship is both need and merit-based. We will review your academic record, essays and financial need as stated in your own words. This scholarship is offered to quarter/semester, academic year, and summer students.
Featured API / Academic Programs International Programs
Founded in the 1500s by Spanish conquistadores, Buenos Aires has evolved into a thriving, cosmopolitan city with more than 6 million inhabitants within the city limits and...
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona was founded in 1968 and is well known for its international profile. API students complete classes in English and in Spanish with mos...
This program is ideal for students who would like to improve their communication and grammar skills, while also taking culture courses in addition to their language studie...
Students spend one month on a traveling study abroad program by starting in Tuscania, followed by one month in Rome. Students then complete the experience in either Floren...