Tucked between China and India, Nepal is dominated by the Himalaya, known for many of Earth’s highest peaks and deepest gorges. Learn to “read” rocks and dive deep into geology to understand past and present Earth processes. Your geological trek w...
During my seven weeks in Nepal for the Geoscience in the Himalaya program hosted by SIT Study Abroad during the summer of 2022 the program traveled everywhere from Kathmandu to Beni where we walked along the road to Kagbeni and back. On the way from Beni to Kagbeni our class was Earth Science Field Methods which was taught by a ...
- Valdosta State University
View Entire Review
You will definitely gain some form of awareness about global relations and interactions. For me, I became far more aware of how my actions in the US actually have effects for people all over the world.
- University of Washington
View Entire Review
I grew mentally, academically, spiritually, and physically in the just 7 weeks.
- University of Colorado - Boulder
View Entire Review
Tucked between China and India, Nepal is dominated by the Himalaya, known for many of Earth’s highest peaks and deepest gorges. Learn to “read” rocks and dive deep into geology to understand past and present Earth processes. Your geological trek will take you from the rain-soaked region south of the mountains, between two peaks higher than 8,000 meters, and to the arid edge of the Tibetan Plateau to the north. The active tectonics of Asia mean a high earthquake risk for many Himalayan communities. The steep mountain slopes and intense rainfall make landslides another hazard. These, combined with weak architectural choices, have led to major structural damage in Nepal. Learn about hazard assessment, risk reduction, and engineering geology, as well as climate change and hydropower. Engage with Nepali faculty and geology students from Nepal’s Tribhuvan University, who will also participate in the field portion of the program, subject to academic schedules. Students often become close with their fellow geology students from Nepal during the experience.
SIT Study Abroad is committed to increasing access to international education and to ensuring you have the information you need to successfully access funding for your study abroad program with us. SIT has awarded an average of over $1.3 million in scholarships and grants to SIT Study Abroad students in the past three years. We encourage all qualified students to apply for our need-based scholarships. SIT scholarships are not available for online courses or virtual internships.
Your scholarship application is created when you select your interest in SIT need-based scholarships when asked in the drop-down section of your SIT Study Abroad program application. Your application is then reviewed separately, on a rolling basis, when complete.
For a list of available scholarships and grants, click here.
$500 - $5000
April 1 for summer programs
May 15 for fall programs
November 1 for spring programs
The SIT Study Abroad scholarship application process has been fully integrated into our online program application.
After ticking the scholarship box in the program application, please complete the following steps:
1) Once your scholarship application is started, you will be asked to provide SIT with the name and email address of a financial aid counselor at your home institution, or the general email address of your financial aid office. This is very important as it allows SIT to consider any financial aid that may be available from your home institution when reviewing your scholarship application.
2) Add SIT’s school code (008860) to your FAFSA form.
3) Your scholarship application is complete and ready for review when SIT has your FAFSA and the financial aid information from your home institution. Confirm receipt of all required financial aid information with the SIT Study Abroad Scholarship Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 802.258.3503).
4) If you do not receive an award decision notification from SIT before the billing due date, please know that your scholarship application was not complete.